Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trainjacking in Chennai





Today, I was driving to the Vyasarpadi Regional Transport Office to register my new motorbike when I came across an interesting sight. I saw derailed compartments of a train and my dad pointed it out that it was from the freak accident last April. I read in the papers that some mysterious person hijacked a passenger train parked at the Chennai central railway station (suburban) and drove it with high speed out of the station and within 4 minutes, rammed it into a goods train that was parked. Four people were killed in the freak accident and eleven were injured. The authorities have launched an investigation to find 'Mr. X', who presumably knew how to drive locomotives and the reason for the lapse (how did Mr. X find the keys?).

The article can be found here

Interestingly the damaged compartments have been left beside the track (remembrance?) for posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment